Our fertility specialists believe that all women deserve the choice to become moms. That said, Dallas IVF is a proud supporter of the LGBT community. To serve our lesbian mothers-to-be, our Dallas fertility center offers several lesbian fertility options, including donor sperm intrauterine insemination, IUI, and in vitro fertilization, IVF.
Donor sperm IUI: One of the most common lesbian fertility options
The fertility specialists at our Dallas fertility center know that many women are curious about donor sperm IUI when they are considering lesbian fertility options. The medical procedure for performing donor sperm IUI is nearly identical to the process for traditional IUI.
- Prior to your procedure, your fertility specialist may recommend that you take hormone medications to induce ovulation.
- On the day of the procedure, your physician will guide a catheter into your uterus in a procedure similar to a pelvic exam. After positioning the catheter, your physician will release the washed and prepared donor sperm.
The only difference between donor sperm IUI and traditional IUI is the need for donor sperm. There are two ways to select a sperm donor.
- You can select a friend or a family member. This option is popular among lesbian couples who want to know their baby’s father.
- You can also use an anonymous donor through a sperm bank. Sperm banks can only provide basic information about each donor.
IVF is a lesbian fertility option that we recommend for patients with fertility issues
Your fertility specialist may also suggest a type of IVF called reciprocal IVF if both you and your partner want to share a deep connection with your child. With reciprocal IVF, one woman donates her eggs and the other carries the pregnancy and delivers the baby.
- The woman who plans to donate her eggs will take fertility medications in order to stimulate her ovaries to produce multiple eggs. When her eggs are mature, one of our fertility specialists will perform egg retrieval.
- During the next step, the eggs are fertilized with the donor sperm in the IVF lab.
- After fertilization, your fertility specialist will transfer an embryo into the other woman’s uterus. She will then carry the pregnancy and give birth to the child.