The abbreviations for fertility treatments can be confusing
Is your head spinning after seeing all of the abbreviations for fertility treatments? The ABC soup of fertility can be overwhelming, but the DFW fertility specialists at Dallas IVF are here to break down what all of these little letters mean.
The world of fertility treatments is easier to understand than you might think
To empower and educate you about your fertility treatment options, our experienced and caring DFW fertility specialists have provided a helpful list of the some of the most common abbreviations for fertility treatments. After reviewing this list, you’ll sound just like a fertility doctor.
- IUI is a common abbreviation in reproductive medicine. This term stands for intrauterine insemination, also known as artificial insemination. During IUI, a fertility specialist places sperm from the patient’s partner or a donor into the patient’s uterus.
- IVF is another commonly used fertility term, and it is an abbreviation for in vitro fertilization. IVF involves combining eggs and sperm in a laboratory. A doctor then transfers the fertilized embryos to a patient’s uterus.
- eSET is a term that is related to IVF, and the abbreviation stands for elective single embryo transfer. This procedure involves transferring one embryo at a time to the uterus. The goal is to reduce the risk of having pregnancies with twins and triplets.
- ICSI means intracytoplasmic sperm injection, which is a form of IVF that involves injecting sperm into an egg. Fertility doctors use ICSI when a man has sperm problems.
- AH is another way to say assisted hatching, and fertility specialists sometimes use this procedure with IVF to assist with implantation.
- PGS stands for preimplantation genetic screening. PGS is an advanced screening technique that is performed during IVF to see which embryos have the correct number of chromosomes. PGD, also known as preimplantation genetic diagnosis, is a related but more complex technique that can identify if embryos have a specific genetic disorder.
Our fertility specialists are here to answer all of your questions
Our DFW fertility specialists want to help you understand every aspect of your fertility treatment. Remember that there are no stupid questions. Our caring and knowledgeable team of fertility professionals is here to answer all of your questions about treating infertility.
If you’re interested in learning more about fertility treatments at Dallas IVF, please contact us today. Our fertility specialists provide world-class care to help patients become parents.